Erectile dysfunction is the most common sex problem experienced by men. Around 30 million men are known to be affected by erectile dysfunction, which is a humongous number.
When men face trouble in getting or keeping an erection that is firm enough for sex, this condition is described as erectile dysfunction.
If ED is progressive or happens on a routine basis while doing sex, then this condition is not normal and ought to be treated. It not only hinders men from enjoying sex, but also causes low self-esteem in them.
There are several contributing factors for erectile dysfunction, which are mentioned below:
Vascular diseases like peripheral artery disease and carotid artery disease are caused due to the abnormal condition of the blood vessels like arteries and veins.
High blood pressure or high blood sugar resulting from diabetes can increase the risk of having ED.
Stress or Emotional Issues
Stress-related to work or other reasons, troubled relationships and other emotional issues can lead to the development of erectile dysfunction.
Some other contributing factors for ED can be sleep-related problems like sleep apnea and sleep deprivation, obesity, smoking, excessive intake of alcohol, lack of exercise, increased waistline, intake of recreational drugs, side effects of medicines, surgery in the lower abdominal or pelvic area, depression, and many more.
The side effects of several medications decrease the ability to have an erection. Among them, there are some drugs to treat hypertension, heart disease, and psychiatric disorders.
Symptoms of Erectile Dysfunction
The main indicator of erectile dysfunction is a change in the quality of the erection. This change can be both in terms of stiffness, and in the ability to maintain an erection.
On the other hand, if psychological causes cause it, impotence usually occurs during a specific period of time (while the stress situation lasts, for example). If it endures for more than 3 months, the patient should seek an urologist specialized in Andrology.
There are various kinds of erectile dysfunction treatments available, which include oral drugs like Viagra and Stendra, testosterone therapy, penile injections, intraurethral medication, vacuum erection devices, penile implants, and surgery. A health care provider or urologist recommends one of these treatments to the affected patients after asking about their symptoms, conducting their thorough physical exam, and even talking with their partner if required.
Though, this may also be the case that you may not need any of the treatments mentioned above. By just performing some simple activities, you can fix or avoid erectile dysfunction. These are discussed here:
- Do the ExercisesBy performing physical exercises like jogging, running, swimming, etc. for some time on a regular exercise, you can improve your body’s metabolism, be more in shape, experience weight loss and improve your self- confidence. Exercising will also enable you to have a slimmer waistline, which in turn would significantly reduce the chance of you having ED.
- Go for Walking for Vascular HealthThere is a connection between walking and vascular health. Walking helps to improve the blood circulation in your legs and promotes the growth of new blood vessels. Eschewing tobacco, eating low cholesterol and low saturated fat diet, keeping a watch on your blood pressure, undergoing weight loss in the case of men with extra weight are some other ways with which you can take of your vascular health.
- Have a Proper SleepSleep deprivation can increase the risk of ED. So you should ensure you have a good sleep of 7-8 hours. Go to sleep on time and avoid watching television or working late at night. It is suggested to walk for some distance after having your meal at night. It will help you have a better quality sleep.
- Take the Right DietEat a diet, which is enriched with natural foods like whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and fish. Reduce your intake of red and processed meat and refined grains. The right diet will reduce the likelihood of erectile dysfunction.
- Avoid SmokingUndeniably, smoking gives rise to several health problems, and one of them is ED. So, avoid smoking. If your alcohol consumption is in excess or in the habit of taking recreational drugs, this can also contribute towards erectile dysfunction. Hence, avoid taking them for the sake of your good sexual health and performance.
We hope these aactivities will help you lead a healthy and ED-free sexual life. Apart, there are several different options available to the man who has erectile problems. Also, you can discuss with your doctor for the best solutions.